Friday 3 October 2008

Week 2 Values and Perceptions

Have you ever thought about the perceptions of different cultures and what their values are compared to ours? It varies within each country as well as each individual person as it can change over time with experience or cultural encounters. There are many different types of value orientations along with value dimensions that influence the way people think, act and try to understand or sometimes not understand life.

Prior to my departure to London, my cultural perception of the United Kingdom was that I thought everyone loved football and had crooked teeth. After being here two weeks now I have noticed that not all of my perceptions were correct. I interviewed a British confidant who helped me get a better understanding of why I may have thought their culture was the way I pictured it to be. The gentlemen said that football is a big deal here in their country but not everyone likes it or has the same interest in the same thing. There are people with crooked teeth here but it is pretty much like everywhere else. The genes are hereditary and the people don't congregate in one specific area as different cultural norms vary over the world.

I think that values mean something different to every person no matter where they may live. my own value system revolves around the personality preference and the "doing" orientation. This means that I like to stay very busy always trying to find something else to do and get things accomplished. The more on my plate the better so I can look back and say I did it. This also connects to my value dimension of long-term verse short-term perceptions where I live and focus short-term on what is going on right now in my life. I find it important to look at what is happening around me today and I will just have to wait and see what the future has to offer when it comes.

Based on my perceptions and current understandings of the British culture that I have experienced, I think that the British value the personality preference of "doing" as well. The environment is very active and it seems like the city never sleeps as there is always something that needs to be done. For their value of dimensions I would consider power distance to be an interesting role within their culture. It is as if there isn't much definition between roles of lower and higher power. The managers or upper hierarchy are more or less role models and friends of the people below them. I think that the roles compare to a lot like culture in the U.S., for a relationship with one another is essential and considered to be highly important

After talking to the gentleman that I interviewed he said that he would consider his value of orientation to be that of "being", this is to exist as you are and it doesn't matter to be just normal or strive to be better. He likes to live life with no time boundaries or orientation. For his value of dimensions he agreed with me about long-term verse short-term and how he doesn't really plan too much for the future as he may not be alive ti live for the experience he once in visioned and worked towards.

Overall, I found out that there are a lot of similarities and differences between other cultures with our values meaning something else to every individual. Over time we change inside and out which influence us in the long run for becoming what we want to be in life. We change as we get older and more things come into our life that raise a higher importance on our list of values. I still have 8 weeks left over here in London so we will see what else I come up with and learn about myself, my culture, and those around me.

No comments: